Book Review: Nan-Core by Numata Mahokaru

by - August 03, 2019


Original Title: ユリゴコロ (Yurigokoro)
Author: Numata Mahokaru
Translator: Jonathan Lloyd-Davies
Format: Hardcover, 253 pages

Blurb:
What if everything you thought you knew about your family was a lie?
A young  man makes a shocking discovery while visiting his parents’ home. Along with a purse and a lock of hair that may have belonged to his recently deceased mother, Ryosuke finds three journals with notes that seem to be the confessions of a murderer.
Now, he has to figure out what’s fact, what’s fiction... and who are these people he’s called “Mom” and “Dad.”
Available for the first time in English, Nan-Core is an unsettling, unrelentingly suspenseful tale from one of Japan's most intriguing novelists.

Review:
"Is it totally acceptable that we met only to suffer afterwards?
Did we find each other only to fall apart, as some form of punishment for my sins?" 

I was very excited to read this novel because I have previously watched its movie adaptation Yurigokoro and I loved it! It was well-written and insanely good, like five-perfect-stars kind of good! So in case you haven't seen it yet, I really recommend you to watch it. You won't regret it, I promise!
   
Yurigokoro trailer

So I bought my copy of the book on my local go-to bookshop on Facebook which sells various pre-loved and remaindered books online.

I started reading it with knowledge of what will happen in the story, and I guess that's where I went wrong. After I put down the book, I sighed because I ended up being quite disappointed with it. Yes, this is one of the few instances wherein the movie was better than the original novel.
Sample page

Although I love how easy it was to read, I couldn't help but point out that the translation was a bit cringey and there were also a few typos in the book. The format or style of how it was written was awkward especially when it's the father's turn to narrate his part of the story. It should've been better if all have been in third person point of view except for the notebooks.

Another factor would be the change in the title to "Nan-Core". To me, it seemed like they were trying too hard to find an English equivalent to a unique and special word that was only created for this novel. They should've just stick with the original title instead.

Still, I gave it a pretty high score because I still love the whole story and it was something you wouldn't read very often.

Rating: ★★★★☆

You May Also Like

0 comments