Omiyage from my sister

by - August 17, 2019


My younger sister went to Japan last week and came back with lots of souvenirs, which are mostly snacks. Haha. I specifically love the Matcha Mochi (that green one at the center) because it's matcha and I love matcha and it's insanely delicious that I wish she has bought more of this!

I also appreciate the four different flavors of Kit Kat because we all know these unique flavors are only available in Japan. It's definitely a must-buy omiyage so I'm glad my sister didn't forget to buy some.

She also gave me an extremely cute Sumikko Gurashi Padlock Gashapon and I can't wait to use it on my bag or locker at work. Out of all San-X characters, I love Sumikko Gurashi the most so I'm really so happy to have this!

Last but not the least, she brought home the books I've been wanting to have!

Ushinawareru Monogatari - Otsuichi
Although I prefer reading longer fiction, Otsuichi is the one who brought me to wonderful world of short stories. He made me realize that you do not need to write longer prose to create a good story. I've been a fan since I've read GOTH, which I'm currently rereading right now, and I'd love to read more of his works. Sadly, it's hard to find most of his English-translated books in the market so I would try my luck (and skills) if I can read his works in raw Japanese.
I'm so happy to have a copy of this book because according to Wiki, it contains seven different stories:

1.) Calling You
2.) Ushinawareru Monogatari
3.) Kiz/Kids
4.) Te wo Nigiru Dorobō no Monogatari
5.) Happiness is a Warm Kitty
6.) Maria no Yubi Boku no Kashikoi Pantsu-kun
7.) Usokano

Calling You was already published in English in 2007, containing the stories, Calling You, Kiz/Kids and Flower Song. Unfortunately, it was one of the hardest books to find and buy and it's always unavailable in Bookdepository.
I am familiar with Kiz/Kids because I have watched its live action movie adaptation several years ago starring Tamaki Hiroshi and Teppei Koike and I loved it so much. It's one of my favorite movies, so I can't help but smile at the thought that I have now the chance to finally read its gensaku!
I have no idea of the content of the other five stories but since these are works of Otsuichi, I can safely assume they're all good!

Chotto Ima Kara Shigoto Yametekuru - Kitagawa Emi
This book has been recommended to me before by Inhae of Inside That Japanese Book. She said it's easy to read. I've been trying to read and finish a raw Japanese book for two years now but I always give up because I get so overwhelmed with the kanjis I didn't recognize. This might be one of the books that could make me get out of the curse. Especially since the movie adaptation of Ima Kara has a special place in my heart. This story broke my heart to pieces and carefully put back the broken pieces and made me whole again. It gave me peace and more reason to be motivated and positive about life in general. Very inspiring. I hope the book would to do the same.

Mikkakan no Koufuku - Sugaru Miaki
I've already started reading the English-translated version of this book but had to stop due to my JLPT preparation last July. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to resume it after the exam. I am hoping to reread it after I finished rereading GOTH or Audition. By the way, the English version was a fan translation. It was not published officially but you can read it for free at Vgperson's site.
Having a copy of raw version and the English version will surely be a great learning experience so I am also looking forward to reading this book.

These books were bought at Book-off, which is a famous second-hand bookstore in Japan. The price is really cheap and the books are all in good condition they look brand new. When I had the chance to visit Japan more than two years ago, I hoarded books and manga at Book-off because I knew how expensive a book can get when you order them online and ship them to my country. The price of the book doesn't just get doubled, sometimes, it even get tripled. Shipping fee is so expensive it feels like when they transport it they attach a gold bar with your item.

So please, if you are learning Japanese like me and you have the chance to go to Japan, buy books at Book-off. You'll be surprised at what you can get for a cheap price! (ゝ∀・)b

P.S. I've created a new twitter account exclusively for my love for Japanese literature. That is where I'm going to post my reading progress so I hope you'll check it out as well. ( *ˊᵕˋ)

You May Also Like

0 comments